All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 pm 
Sponge

Hello everyone, hope you're well.

I've just broken another pad off its backing. Here's my routine :

DAS style polishing machine 600W
Flexipads hex pad yellow (cutting).
Meguairs Ultimate Compound

Three or four halfpenny size blobs of polish, on to the pad, start at speed 2 to spread around, turn up to speed 5 and crosshatch slowly for about 60-90 seconds, I guess. On an area of about 12" x 12".

It was going really well, but then the pad came off its backing. There's traces of melted backing on my backing plate, I hope it's still usable.

I'm guessing I either didn't prime the pad well enough, or ran at too high a speed. What do you think? This is the second time this has happened.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Is this genuine Flexipads hex pad or an ebay fake? Are you keeping the pad flat on the paintwork? Did you hit a door handle or run over a screen washer jet?

Speed 5 is not too fast for that length of time on a DA.

It's almost impossible to say 100% why this happens to some folk and not others. .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:47 pm 
Sponge

Hi Ash, thanks for your reply.

Ash wrote:
Is this genuine Flexipads hex pad or an ebay fake?

No, it was bought from an online shop.

Ash wrote:
Are you keeping the pad flat on the paintwork?

As far as I could, yes. It's a bonnet, has a slight curve to it, but is mainly pretty flat. I thought I'd start on an easier panel in that respect.

Ash wrote:
Did you hit a door handle or run over a screen washer jet?

No, I was just practising on the front of the bonnet, the area I'm doing was completely clear.

Ash wrote:
Speed 5 is not too fast for that length of time on a DA.

Ah ok, that's useful to know. I never go above 5. Also, the pressure I use is the weight of the machine plus a tiny bit of hand pressure.

I guess I'd better get another one and try again. As far as I know, Flexipads are a good brand, no?

The only clue I have is that rather than the pad just coming off its backing, it looks like tiny bits of the backing have melted onto the backing plate, suggesting heat melting the glue of the pad, rather than just force taking the pad off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:51 pm 
Flexipads aren't bad....but Chemical Guys and 3M are much better. You pay a little more and they last a lot longer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm 
Sponge

willington wrote:
Flexipads aren't bad....but Chemical Guys and 3M are much better. You pay a little more and they last a lot longer.

This is a MK2 VW car from 1991. I think it has fairly hard paint and clearcoat. Any particular recommendations of pads for cutting? Is it much better to go for the hexagonal pads or the flat pads?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

I'm confused as you said it's a bonnet. Do you have a link so we can see it.

If it's a bonnet then it's not really a pad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:18 pm 
Sponge

Ash - I mean the bonnet of the car, the hood, sorry about any confusion there.

The bonnet of my car is mullered, it has severe clear coat failure over about a third of it. Therefore it is my "test panel" for my machine polishing technique (on the parts that are good) because it being mullered anyway, doesn't matter too much if anything goes wrong, as I need a respray anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:59 pm 
Sponge

Update - I got some Chemical guys pads and some meguairs microfibre pads, and gave the pad a quick spray with some water before polishing, and not a sign of any pads coming off their backing, so maybe it was the Hexlogic pad, or maybe it's incompatible with my technique/equipment or something.

I did the roof of the car which is quite a large area, managed to do the whole thing with one chemical guys pad for the 205, and two microfibre pads for the 105. I'm not sure how much "correction" has gone on, but certainly the reflections were nice and sharp. I think some of the correction may have to be a wet-sand job in a few specific areas eventually, as there are a few scratches which didn't really come out. The VW has hard paintwork, I'm aware.

So, a good result! Very nice pads. Let me check - to clean them, I did bucket of hot water and fairy liquid, massaged them around by hand, then rinsed, and stuck them in the airing cupboard to dry. Does this sound ok?

By the way, the 205, it was all I could do not to drink the stuff. Smells like bubblegum, right? That old round pink bubblegum we used to get :lol: .

Actually, just one more query while I think of it, I actually have an orange flat medium cutting pad (flexipads basic thing I think) that is just beginning to come off its backing, a few mm on one side. Is this safe to use, or should I bin it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:35 pm 
shove some glue on the velcro and save it to hand polish in tight areas...that's what I do with my old wrecked pads.