CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brand New Black Car
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:44 pm 
Sponge

Hi All

I took delivery of a brand new cooper s last Friday and to say the detailing job the main dealer has done is a poor attempt would be an understatement.

The majority of the car is fine but the bonnet has a few swirls and minor hairline scratches. I've managed to get quite a bit out by hand but decided a DA would be a good shout as it's a useful skill set to have also the Mrs has a stain from bird carp on her roof which I'm hoping the DA would get out.

Just looking for advice of my choice of products before I purchase anything and any tips for black cars when polishing.

I was looking at a DAS 6 Pro for the DA as this seems to be the weapon on choice on a lot of YouTube tutorials.

Chemical Guys Green Hex Logic pads for the application.

Scholl S20 Black for the product as it seems to get a lot of good reviews and good results.

Finally to buff out CarPro BOA 350gsm cloths.

What's everyone's thoughts about this?

Also this may seem like a stupid question but does the DA require much pressure? The videos I've watched it just seems like they are letting it move at it's own pace with no pressure on it at all.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Post subject: Re: Brand New Black Car
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

The important thing is you don't apply so much pressure that you slow it down or even stop it .

This will help

phpBB [video]

Or buy a rotary :lol:

The cloths look good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:25 pm 
Sponge

Ash wrote:
The important thing is you don't apply so much pressure that you slow it down or even stop it .

This will help

phpBB [video]

The cloths look good.

That's really clever to be honest. So I take it as long as you have a nice rotation on the black mark all is well.

I wouldn't even entertain a rotary yet as i like having paint on my car lol.

Thanks

Brad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:21 pm 
I'm a big fan and user of scholl polishes for a very long time.

However, I don't belive that S20 Black is the right polish for your particular needs.

To avoid removing to much clearcoat on your Mini, Scholl S30+ is far more suitable for the paintwork imperfections which you describe.

You could also use it on your wife's car, but if the clearcoat has been 'etched', this may need polishing over twice or switch over to a heavier cutting polish such as Scholl S17+

Given the choice, two polishes in your kitbag are better than one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

itsbradders wrote:
Ash wrote:

This will help

phpBB [video]

The cloths look good.

That's really clever to be honest. So I take it as long as you have a nice rotation on the black mark all is well.

I wouldn't even entertain a rotary yet as i like having paint on my car lol.

Thanks

Brad

Way too many myths about rotary machines out there! I used to use a DA and still have one but wouldn't go back to it. Rotary's are a joy to use , DA's shake you to death :lol:

Polish wise, I can't recommend Sonax-Perfect-Finish highly enough.Even more so when it comes to dark paint! http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polis ... _1209.html

This guy knows how to sell it :lol: . Worth a full watch!

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:07 pm 
Sponge

willington wrote:
I'm a big fan and user of scholl polishes for a very long time.

However, I don't belive that S20 Black is the right polish for your particular needs.

To avoid removing to much clearcoat on your Mini, Scholl S30+ is far more suitable for the paintwork imperfections which you describe.

You could also use it on your wife's car, but if the clearcoat has been 'etched', this may need polishing over twice or switch over to a heavier cutting polish such as Scholl S17+

Given the choice, two polishes in your kitbag are better than one.

We both have Mini's, mine is literally a week old and hers is about 5 months so they the paint is relativley new on both. She has the electric blue colour so ideally I'm looking to get a compound that will work for both.

Do you think the S20 black would be too abrasive?

Ash wrote:
Way too many myths about rotary machines out there! I used to use a DA and still have one but wouldn't go back to it. Rotary's are a joy to use , DA's shake you to death :lol:

Polish wise, I can't recommend Sonax-Perfect-Finish highly enough.Even more so when it comes to dark paint! http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polis ... _1209.html

This guy knows how to sell it :lol: . Worth a full watch!

phpBB [video]

I've never used a polisher in my life, for the price I think a DA would be a good shout to start with lol.