CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:34 pm 
Sponge

Hey all!

I have a seat ibiza FR 2016 in midnight black. I detailed it initially by claying with bilt hamber regular grade clay and then did a 2-step polish using a 600W DA, CG orange and white hex and megs UC & 205.

Heres the before and after of first attempt
phpBB [video]

It became clear after washing (grit guard 2 bucket, 2 mitt method, blot dry) that it was not the end for me as I could see that there was still some swirls.

Heres the problem that I discovered a few days later
phpBB [video]

After consulting with people online, I bought some IPA and used Swirl-X on an orange pad to try to combat this. I spent ages doing the full car and was seeing improvement but the problem has not been eliminated.

Heres the current paint:
phpBB [video]

I'm not super bothered to be honest. Its very hard to capture these marks - you have to be pretty damn close, down at the level of the paint in very good sunlight but it does irritate me a little that i've invested both time and money into trying to correct my paint and it seems i'm so close yet so far!

My current ideas are maybe I didn't run the UC for long enough and needed to do more passes and now having bother with finishing products trying to remove moderate defects. Do I need to hit with UC again? - who knows.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas about how I'd be able to finally resolve this issue it would be much appreciated. (Ideally cheap ideas ;) )

Cheers,

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:57 pm 
I think you need to work the polish for longer, slowly reducing the speed, constantly checking for heat build up and work it until it's gone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:46 pm 
Torques suggestion is the cheapest method...work the coarser compound for longer then refine with the finishing polish.

The alternative is one hit with Scholl S30+ on a medium firm pad and a little pressure applied....S30+ starts off at P2500 abrasive for 30 seconds and then refines down over 2 1/2 minutes to P5000.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

You should always spot test a polish and pad first to see if it does the job. When happy move on the whole car. Also bear in mind the level of finish you wish to achieve and what is possible with the paint work you have.

All the videos show as said the polish not being worked for long enough. The only polish I know of where you can get away with that is Sonax Perfect finish http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polis ... 1209.html.. Holograms and light swirls are a thing of the past with that polish and with no effort :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:46 pm 
Sponge

Thanks will bare this in mind. The main problem with the spot test is that the improvement still seems much better when I do it and its only in the following days that I see the extent of the problems even having done an IPA wipe.. might try to do a small area and then just watch it for a period of a week or so to see what true correction has been done.

Might get some 04/06 at some point as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Have you tried looking at it in different lights after the IPA wipe down? Swirls do not come back after a few days unless you only filled them with polish. It's more likely the light an angles your looking at it in.

I've never used the Sonax 04/06 so can't comment but I'm sure it's good. I was talking about the Perfect Finish :wink: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polis ... _1209.html