CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:57 pm 
Sponge

Hi I would like some advice with a rotary.
I am doing my porsche boxster (lapis blue) with m3 cutting pad with ssr2.5 and then using m3 blue finishing pad with megs 205 finishing polish.
I still seem to have very slight swirls. which can't be seen with a halogen about a foot from the paint but can be seen when the light its roughly 6-8foot away.

Also the paint is quite bad to begin with.

Any advice would great thank you

Regard Will

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum.

For one it could have been you didn't work the Poorboy's SSR.22.5 long enough to remove the swirls or the polish is not aggressive enough. It's always best to do a spot test area to make sure the polish your using has enough cut. You can then up the cut of the polish and pad if it's not working.

You should have checked the finish before moving onto the finishing polish.

Are you sure they are swirls and not buffer holograms?

Some photos may help us.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:38 pm 
Sponge

Im struggling to get the pictures up on my laptop at the moment. I would think they are more likely to be buffer holograms but are very slight. I was at 900rpm with megs 205. Is that slow enough? also could i have been putting too much pressure on for this stage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:36 pm 
Posting pictures

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Willos wrote:
Im struggling to get the pictures up on my laptop at the moment. I would think they are more likely to be buffer holograms but are very slight. I was at 900rpm with megs 205. Is that slow enough? also could i have been putting too much pressure on for this stage.

Maybe a softer pad will help http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polis ... d_762.html

Is that the slowest speed of your machine :?: That should be slow enough anyway. You could also try going slower moving the pad across the paint with less presser.

Failing all of that a different finishing polish. I would recommend Sonax perfect finish, again doing the above.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:34 pm 
Sponge

So the 3m black pad is softer still than the blue pad? Ill get one and give it a go. I think it can go to 600. Thanks you for your help Ash Ill give it ago.

Regards Will

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Holograms can be a real pain with darker colours :twisted: My rotary goes down to 700 rpm, so 600 rpm sounds perfect. .Good luck. Post up some photos when it done.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:27 pm 
Wash Mitt Wonder

You don't need to change any of your kit, a 3M blue pad with 205 can leave a stunning finish on black.
Wit hteh 205, my technique would be a couple of passes at medium speed with medium pressure, depending on what defects were left, then turn the rotary down to min speed, remove all pressure so let the weight of the machine do the work and move it slowly over the panel, no more than 2 cm / second, with a couple of passes. You should end up with a mirror finish....

A couple of pics of our old black fiesta, 50:50 shot shows the damage inflicted by the dealer and their "paint guy" and the correction I got at home.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:50 am 
Sponge

Thats exactly what i did Mbaker and i got these results that of the bonnet the paint is pretty well pitted. Porsche paint is quite grippy paint compare to all the paint i done previous. Its the first time where i have struggled to get perfection.
I am pleased with the result but i am now struggling with a golf mk2 VW black paint which is just flat black.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:54 pm 
Wash Mitt God

Superb results , I've got the wife's black Freelander to do soon , hope it comes out as good .

Mark