CleanYourCar
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:42 pm 
Sponge

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a DAS6 Pro but would like some advice on pads and polishes.

I've read plenty of threads here and elsewhere about polish/pad combinations so apologies for adding yet another to the mix, but what's confusing things for me is that I've got cars at both ends of the paint hardness spectrum - a metallic black BMW 728 and a black mk1 MX5 (single stage paint, no lacquer).

The BMW's previous owner polished it with a rotary then sealed it with GTechniq about 4 years ago, but there are some buffer trails visible (particularly around the curves of the C pillars) that weren't removed before it was applied and a general level of swirling etc. from the last few years.

The MX5 is covered in swirls that I've been masking using Poorboys Black Hole up until now. It looks great after hand polishing and waxing, but that only lasts for a short time so it really needs sorting out properly.

I found this thread http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22585 which had some great advice for the BMW paint, so I was all set to buy some Scholl S40 and S17+, but then I saw recommendations for S30+ for correcting the soft Mazda paint, so I wondered if S17+ and S30+ would be a better combination to buy.

I was planning to get a Scholl white spider pad to use with S17+ on the BMW, then an orange pad for the S40 (or S30+ if that's the better choice). Will I need something in between like a blue pad to do the initial correction on the Mazda's paint, or will the orange be sufficient?

I'm happy to buy what's needed to do a good job on both cars, but didn't want to get carried away with buying too many combinations of pad and polish that won't get used. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:11 pm 
Welcome to the Forum Russ. :)

I am a huge advocate of the Scholl polishes and have used them now for quite a few years on all different types of paint.

You are right to consider the S17+ and the white spider sandwich pad for the hard BMW paint. However, use the S30+ first and see how that works...then if necessary, switch up to the S17+ on the same pad.

The final finish, using the S17+ will not be as good as using the S30+ due to the intial abrasive cut being that much heavier...giving less time for the finer abrasive to refine the paintwork.

This is where a final finish polish comes into it's own. Being a non-diminishing type of polish, it will produce a constant fine cut for the entire time you use it...refining and 'crisping up' the paint. S40 is a good final finishing polish, however, the Sonax Perfect finish is reportedly even better.

Now for your soft MX5 paint...... the S17+ could be used, but not on the white spider pad...that is too heavier a combination. S17+ and S30 could be used on a 3M yellow pad to good effect...starting off with the S30+ to see what results are achieved. You may be happy with the results of S30 (very high gloss can be achieved) an you can finish off using the final finishing polish using a black 3M pad for an extreme gloss finish.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:27 pm 
Sponge

Really useful advice, thanks.

Don't worry, I wasn't expecting to need the white spider pad for the Mazda!

It sounds like my polish/pad shopping list needs to be:
S17+ (just in case)
S30+
White spider pad
3M yellow pad
3M black finishing pad

I might hold off buying a final finish polish for now and see what the results look like first.

Looks like the yellow pad is out of stock at the moment. Are the 3M pads worth waiting for or are the finer Scholl/other brand pads just as good?

Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 pm 
The Chemical guys hexlogic or Quantum pad are getting excellent reviews and perhaps sightly more verstile with a range of polishes.

So consider getting their medium firm pads instead of the 3M.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:20 pm 
Sponge

I've gone for an orange CG Quantum pad instead of the 3M yellow and placed the order.

Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to seeing the results :)