CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 pm 
Sponge

As per the title what are people's thoughts on which machine to go for. I don't mind paying the extra if the cheaper machine has limitations once my technique improves

All advice appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:37 pm 
A good question and I hope to be able to answer it :)

I don't own a Vertool, but I do have the Flex VRG3401 it was modelled upon and have the DAS 6.

The engaged drive of the Vertool gives it the torque and hence cutting power of a rotary balanced with the 'safer to use' oscilations and refinement of the paint the the DAS6 provides. It really can be classified as a hybrid between the two generics.

The downsides of this machine are they are heavier than a DAS6, slightly larger and it's imperative that you keep the pad FLAT to the panel being polished - otherwise it will take you for 'walkies'. Additionally, the vertool doesn't have the ability to use smaller spot pads for tight curved areas. (my Flex does as it has the availability of smaller backing plate adaptors.)

The DAS6 Pro is a great machine. Plenty of torque, drive disengages when too much pressure applied (so 'safer') and there are splenty of smaller backing spot backing plates and pads available for those tight curves.

Of the two machines, I would say that the DAS6Pro is the more versatile and 'safe' machine for a newcomer to machine polishing.

I actually still keep my DAS6 ready, with very small backing plates, to tackle the very confined curves and use my Flex for the larger panels.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:41 pm 
Sponge

Many thanks for the clear and comprehensive reply. I think I'll go for the DAS 6 Pro based on that O:)