CleanYourCar
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:16 pm 
Sponge

Hello all!

I am after some advice about removing some buffer trails on the side of my car (which were inflicted after a family member damaged the panel and used a rotary and some aggressive compound to try and tackle). I have a black Seat Ibiza FR.

I think that I'm going to buy the das6 or das6 pro. I'll also get the shinemate spot pad kit as my car has quite alot of areas that would benefit from a smaller pad.

In addition to this, a year of regular washing of the black paint has left a significant number of swirls and there is the odd scratch here and there, most of which are not through the clear coat (but I have had little success working by hand to remove).

My questions are for someone who is on a tight budget:
- Will I benefit more from the pro over the das6?
- What pads and compound/polishes will give me the best results? (Megs, scholl or..?)
- Any other advice r.e removal or swirls or the buffer trails?

I'll add a photo of the buffer trails but the sun has gone in now so I cant take pictures of the swirls!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153857746 ... ed-public/

Also, as you may be able to tell from the picture, there is very little contamination of the paintwork. It feels super smooth when you run your hand along it when it has been freshly washed and dried.

Many thanks!! :)

Ben

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum,

It may feel super smooth but you should do the baggy test. Take one of those thin sandwich bags,put your hand inside and rub it gentle over the paintwork after it's been washed and dried. If it still feels smooth then OK but if it doesn't then it needs to be clayed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:27 pm 
Sponge

Will do! Any advice r.e the rest :)?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

For polish and pads I would recommend Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish on a medium cut pad. It's perfect for removing light swirls and buffer trails (holograms)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:51 pm 
Sponge

Thanks. Do you reckon i'd be better paying the extra for the pro model? I have had a look on CYC. They only have sonax in a 1l £42 bottle so will look elsewhere but the reviews online speak for themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

They normally have 500ml as well. Lott's of other places sell it,. Just google it :wink: http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/sonax-pro ... sid=28nnao

I'm sure DA users will say go for the pro version because of the extra power. You can stop a standard DA just by putting too much pressure on it. I have a standard DA machine but I use a rotary these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 pm 
Sponge

If you were to recommend a heavier compound, should it be required, what would you go for? :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:48 pm 
If using a DAS6Pro, on hard paint, I would be looking to use Scholl S30+ on a yellow 3M pad. It has a strong enough cut to remove medium imperections and bring the paintwork up a very high gloss.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:30 pm 
Sponge

Hi Willington,

What are your thoughts about the scholl S20 / medium cut pad 100ml kit? Just thinking of my wallet and liking the idea of a nice amount of cut with an excellent end shine! I saw you recommend that else where and am expecting there will be enough to cover my car (am i right thinking this?).

I'm uncertain as to how hard my paint is. It's a VAG but I get the feeling that it's not as hard as BMW/AUDI.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 pm 
The S20 is a great polish, but possibly too aggressive for only minor surface imperfections which the S30+ can easily cope with.

The general rule of thumb with machine polishing is: to start off with the least agressive polish and softest pad and see the results it achieves.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:07 am 
Sponge

Thanks for these tips. I have a feeling you might not see the damage as quite so superficial if i showed you so more pictures. Ill try get some better pictures in the morning to see if it changes your suggestion. I think while buffer marks have been inflicted, most of the swirl on this panel has been removed.

Ill post them tomorrow and would be grateful to hear what your thoughts are (and anyone else) :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:07 am 
Sponge

literally grey skies since i made the comment ha..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:10 pm 
Sponge

So there was about 30 seconds of sunlight so I swiftly took some pics. Car is quite dusty as done like 400/500 mile since last wash!

You can see in this pic what I mean when I say that in the right light the 'swirls' are extensive and follow the panel.

Theres a couple more on this flickr account but I think you get the picture.

Something heavier required or do you think s30 would still be sufficient :)

thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 pm 
before you buy a heavier cut of polish...try the S30+ TWICE if it doesn't remove it first go.

If that doesn't work, then you might need to step up to S17+ on a firmer pad.