CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:26 pm 
Sponge

I have a an older car which is cellulose painted and was restored approximately ten years ago and apart from the occasional polish has not had need of any major attention to the paint. There are some fine swirl marks, the odd light scratch and some holograms, but generally is in very good order. However I am thinking of investing in a da machine to do this and a couple of other cars (these being more modern Audi and Mercedes paint finishes) but would like to get some views on the correct compounds and pads to use to remove the marks and then put some polish on afterwards.

I know the cellulose is relatively soft by comparison to todays paint finishes as is evidenced when hand polishing with a light colouring left on the polishing cloths. So any suggestions from those professionals out there who perhaps look after some of the older cars, any help well received, also as to which da machine would be suitable for a newbie. Have been looking at the Meguiars MT320 and the Das 6 Pro Plus
Thanks
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:07 pm 
Welcome to the CYC Forum :)

You basically need a machine and polishes/pads which can cope with extremes in differences of paint 'softness'....

All you need is the DAS6 Pro (not the PLUS version) which has a smaller 'throw pattern'. Although the plus is great for large flat panels, it doesn't have the capabilities for tight curves and confined spaces.... the 'throw' might hit the panel. You can also get smaller backing plates and pads (spot plates/pads) for the DAS6 Pro.

For polishes:

Scholl S17+ on a Scholl white spider sandwich pad for heavier imperfections or Scholl S30+ on a yellow 3M pad for lighter imperfections - for the audi/mercedes (hard paints)

Scholl S30+ on a yellow 3M pad for the cellulose paintwork.

I have used all these combinations with excellent results on the same paint types.

this photo is of an old Saab 99t with single stage paint using Scholl S30+ with a 3m yellow pad.......

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to the forum,

Buy the way polish and compounds remove defects, for paint protection it's sealants and waxes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:30 pm 
Sponge

Hi
Thanks for the response and the advice, not quite sure what you mean by the white spider pad, so can you direct me to a website where I might see these and also the Scholl products you recommended
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 pm 
all the scholl products are on this page on the CYC website...

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewBrand&brandId=34

The Scholl white spider sandwich pad is a high performance firm pad with a calibrated polishing face. It's superb for using on very hard paints for heavy imperfections when using a DA.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:57 pm 
Sponge

Hi
Thanks for the link, your suggestions now make a little more sense as I can see the details about the products