CleanYourCar
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DA Machine?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:59 pm 
Sponge

Hi all,

OK so having read through lots more of the forum perhaps I should not dismiss the purchase of a DA.

Quick question to help me justify though?

Does using a DA cut significant amounts of time from the process or is it the end finish that makes it most worthwhile?
I also realise that it is far easier on the arms too.

I would not spent 'big' but the DAS6 I thought looked good value @ £80
As my paintwork does not need correcting as such what would I need as far as pads are concerned?

Also I have BH Double Speed Wax but would I need a liquid wax if using a DA

Sorry if the questions come across as very obvious to you but I really never considered machine polishing etc beforehand.

Cheers

Tony

Post subject: Re: DA Machine?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:17 pm 
It will make a HUGE difference in the quality of finish and time spent hand polishing.

Think of it this way.....polishing by hand you can perhaps perform 200 circular polishing motions per minute, then struggle to maintain this. A machine polisher like the DAS6 has a minumum speed of 1000 oscilations per minute!

Then add onto this the control over which polish/pad combination and the degree of pressure applied, the results will immediately speak for themselves.

The DAS6 is slightly underpowered compared the the PRO version, but still capable of correctional polishing and even extreme gloss finishing.

As to which pads/polishes will depend upon the car's paint type. If you decide to go the machine route....please give as much info/picture of your car...and then we can offer specific advise.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

You can apply wax with a DA but your need all the car trim taped up. By the time you have done that you could have applied the wax by hand. You won't get a better finish waxing by machine either,plus you won't get into all the small areas of the car.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:27 pm 
Sponge

Ok in no particular order.
I won't kid myself that I'm going to detail the car but want to look after it.
I'm aware that black paint takes some looking after but looks great when it's clean so will buy things that will help keep it that way.
There are no scratches to deal with and can't see any marring so think the ddj micro prime will be ok?

I nearly purchased a da over the weekend but knew I had not got the knowledge to choose correctly for the pads in particular so waited to ask here.
I will take your advice and purchase the pro version of the das6 but pad choice is 'over to you' :D

Can I upload pics from my pc using the upload attachment or do I need to use something like imageshack (if it's still going)?
I guess you just need to see the colour, although it's grubby after today's weather?

Taking the above into consideration if you could kindly tell me (in priority order) what I need I will spend £150ish now and add anything else afterwards.

Hope I have given enough info and will add pics when I know how :?:

@ Ash, thanks saw your post and removed reference to the wax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:48 pm 
Sponge

Ordered the DAS6 Pro last night.

Ordered with the following:-

Shinemate Orange T40 Pad
Shinemate White T20 Pad

Hopefully the pads will be OK as the descriptions seemed to suit what I want to do (pre wax clean) and what I think the condition of the paint is.

Also had delivered today some blue masking tape and a nice surprisingly roomy Auto Finesse bag so I can stop using the buckets as storage.
Some videos I saw using the tape when polishing but I have gone off the idea of using the DA for applying wax now.

Tony

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:24 pm 
Wash Mitt Wonder

Firstly, sorry to jump in on your thread!

However, this topic is of particular interest to me, for one main reason - in 2005 I suffered a serious fracture and joint damage to my dominant hand. It is irrepairably damaged, albeit, minimally deformed.

For the most part, it doesn't trouble me, but, as you can imagine, hundreds of circular hand movements per car detail takes it's toll.

If I am to make a successful attempt at valeting as part of my professional career, should I invest in a DA?

I'd really appreciate the thoughts of those who own a DA as to the pros/cons.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:26 am 
The DA isn't as fast as a Rotary for correcting heavy imperfections, However still capable of correcting most imperections using the right polish/pad combination.

The downside of a DA, is that they can vibrate when pressure is applied. None the less, machine polishing is far less tiring than hand polishing.

Results wise, a DA has some advantages over a Rotary - much 'safer' to use and capable of paint refinement and to apply sealants.

If I was about to start valeting as a career, I would certainly have a quality DA, like the DAS6 Pro, in my kit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:48 am 
Site Admin

You do get quite a lot of vibration with a DA compared to a rotary and that maybe a problem with your hand.

A trip to Waxstock maybe an idea https://www.waxstock.com/ . There is normally a stand there where you can try out different makes and types of machine.

If I have a meet this year you are welcome to come and I have a rotary and DA. Plus others bring machines along :wink:

It's that man again :lol:

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:09 am 
Sponge

I see myself as quite a durable type of person, but certainly noticed straight away the amount of vibration from the das6 pro.
Was not as noisy as I was expecting though on the plus side.

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:39 pm 
Wash Mitt Wonder

Well, thank you one and all for your comments!

Some of you may remember that I do own a rotary polisher (cheap and heavy duty) plus some Scholl polishes/various pads (because I took the advice of Willington, way back when). So if it's a choice between:

'weight + slightly increased risk to paint' versus 'more expense + vibration through my joint'...

...then maybe I should stick with the rotary. I've only used it twice - once on my dad's old Honda (the Guinea-pig car) and then on my own car, and was pretty happy with the results.

I could make a project of my husband's old beaten up Peugeot Expert van and hone my skills with the Scholl polishes.

Plenty to ponder! :-k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:51 pm 
Wash Mitt God

Practice on the van and it gets you into the better halfs good books when he's got a shiny van .

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Red_Ruth wrote:
Well, thank you one and all for your comments!

Some of you may remember that I do own a rotary polisher (cheap and heavy duty) plus some Scholl polishes/various pads (because I took the advice of Willington, way back when). So if it's a choice between:

'weight + slightly increased risk to paint' versus 'more expense + vibration through my joint'...

...then maybe I should stick with the rotary. I've only used it twice - once on my dad's old Honda (the Guinea-pig car) and then on my own car, and was pretty happy with the results.

I could make a project of my husband's old beaten up Peugeot Expert van and hone my skills with the Scholl polishes.

Plenty to ponder! :-k

I didn't remember until you said :oops: .. :idea: You could look around for a lighter rotary. I just get a feeling of more control with my rotary and it's a pleasure to use :D