CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:18 pm 
Sponge

Afternoon guys,

As my title suggests I am very new to the world of machine polishing. So much so that I haven't bought the polishing machine yet but it is imminent. I was just hoping for some information before I make the purchase.

Firstly I will be getting a Dual Action polisher however what other bits do I actually need to start with? There seems to be lots of products and bundles out there but are they all needed?

Secondly how do you go about machine polishing? How much polish is applied to the pad and do you keep going until it has polished off or do you stop, let it haze, then buff off with another clean pad?

As you can tell I am very new to this and have read some posts in the forum but none that I have found yet explain it to me in simple enough details. I hope one or two of you guys could help and point me in the right direction.

My car in question is an Audi S4 Black Edition in Ibis White. No paint issues apart from a few light swirls that I believe to be from the previous owner.

Many thanks and hope to get to grips with this shortly :D :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:05 pm 
Welcome to the CYC Forum.

I'm pleased that you have asked plenty of sensible questions BEFORE you went ahead and bought anything. Plenty of costly errors in selection are easily made.

Lets firstly look at the paint preparation before considering polishing:

Shampoo wash, using 2 buckets and wash mitts and grit guards.

De-tar

Iron fallout remover

Clay Bar/clay mitt.

Microfibre drying towel.

Once all this is done, you will see the actual state of the paintwork to be polished.

Audi paint, like most of the VAG range is quite hard. As such, polishing can be tricky if the right polish/pad isn't selected...and works in tandem with the selected machine. ie....a lower powered/torque machine requires a stronger abrasive, firmer pad and pressure applied to make headway.

If you have set your sights upon a Dual Action machine...the DAS6 Pro is a machine which has sufficient torque to make polishing easier and faster.

Now for the polishes and pads.... I'll try and keep it simple and based upon attaining a high level of gloss rather than extreme levels of gloss.

Don't bother with Kits, it's unlikely that you will need all of the products.

My suggestion is for 2 polishes and one type of pad.........

Scholl S17+ (250ml) abrasive content P1500 and breaks down to P5000

Scholl S30+ (250ml) abrasive content P2000 and breaks down to P5000.

Pad....3M yellow pad.

Start off with the S30+ and see how it corrects your car's paintwork. If it doesn't, then use the S17+. You work the polishes until they go clear...then they should have performed to their maximum.

You'll need some microfibre wiping cloths and some Isopropyl alcohol to remove any polish residues.

Next up is what to protect the polished paintwork with...and that's a whole can of worms!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:04 pm 
Sponge

Wow,

Thanks for that. Yes that is the machine I was looking at but it's good to know I don't require all the "extras" at this point. As for the polishing side to it is it just one pea size blob on the pad and polish as much as I can until it goes clear? I have plenty of microfibres cloths as polishing by hand requires quite a few. I used to seal with dodo juice purple haze but now I have a white car I'm guessing a different wax would be better off.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:32 pm 
When machine polishing, you need to 'prime' the whole face of the pad...about 5 pea sized blobs and use your finger to smooth it all over the face.

After this initial priming, on subsequent panels, you only need 3 small blobs per 18" x18" square.

Regarding protecting the paint...Purple haze is colour charged, so will give a slight purple tint to the white beneath it. There is a rule of thumb...sealants for light colours and waxes for dark paints. Sealants tend to appear far glossier than waxes do. If you decide to go down the sealant route....and want a dripping wet deep gloss, the Zaino Z2 takes a lot of beating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:42 pm 
Sponge

With regard to the technique of machine polishing, I keep advising n00bs to invest 54 minutes of their lives with Autogeek's Mike Phillips. This guy is one of the world's foremost detailers and his instruction and presentation is second to none. I keep going back to the video because that 454 cu. in. Chevy Chevelle causes definite stirrings in the trouser department. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWXODgg8V4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Toobad wrote:
With regard to the technique of machine polishing, I keep advising n00bs to invest 54 minutes of their lives with Autogeek's Mike Phillips. This guy is one of the world's foremost detailers and his instruction and presentation is second to none. I keep going back to the video because that 454 cu. in. Chevy Chevelle causes definite stirrings in the trouser department. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWXODgg8V4

You can't wrong with any of Mike's videos :cool:. Just subscribe to Autogeek on YouTube :wink:

We love the baggy test around here :D