CleanYourCar
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:56 pm 
Sponge

I have just bought a machine polisher its the DAS6 and am wondering which pad and polish to use on my 2002 Porsche 996? Its silver and there are some scratches which are light, so am thinking I don't want anything too harsh. Any ideas? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:23 pm 
Welcome to the CYC Forum. :D

Whilst the DAS6 (basic model) is a capable machine. on hard paint like the Porsche has, you may need to compensate for it's lack of focused torque. This can be achieved in several ways....

increase the amount of pressure you apply onto the pad.
increase the firmness of the pad
increase the abrasive rating of the polish used.

Generally speaking, the rule of thumb is to start polishing using the softest pad you have and the lightest cut polish. Then adjust the above until you achieve the level of correction you were looking for.

having machine polished hard Merc paint using the basic DAS6, I found that a firm pad in combination with a diminishing abrasive polish was needed....Scholl White Spider sandwich pad with Scholl S17+ (heaver defects) or Scholl S30+ (lighter defects).

For 'crisping up' the finish, you will need a final finishing polish such as NanotechSST's Super Gloss using a yellow 3M pad or Chemical guys equivalent pad.

Don't forget to thoroughly clean and decontaminate the paintwork BEFORE you start polishing....the decontamination will reveal the true state of the paintwork.