CleanYourCar
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:46 am 
Sponge

Hi I started polishing my e30 in zinnobar red by hand but the paint was so scratched and dull and oxidised it needed a machine. I was using Meguiars ultimate compound which really transformed it but I got the DA polisher from here for Xmas. I now want to know what pads I should get for the Meguiars system- compound, Polish and wax to use with the DA polisher?

Ive never done this before but I want to really make the paint nice because it really lets the car down. Are there any other products I should use and how do you recommend I go about it?

Thanks. First time using it so any tips also appreciated. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:28 am 
Welcome to the CYC Forum. :wave:

Before you commence any form of machine polishing, or by hand for that matter, it is best to 'decontaminate' the paintwork. This involves shampoo wash (using the two bucket method using mitts), de-tar, iron fallout remover, clay bar/mitt, rinse and then dry. Only then will you see the true state of the paintwork to correct.

Whilst the Megs Ultimate compound is good, it does require a finishing polishing to elevate the paintwork. So you are now looking at buying pads for the compound and finishing polishes plus the finishing polish itself. Given that your BMW has hard paint and we don't know exactly which DA you have...this is all going to take time and start getting expensive. (different machines/hard paint often require different pads/polishes)

So here's a far simpler solution...how about a different polish, using just one pad, that can remove paint imperfections from oxidized up to extreme gloss levels in one easy step - in the same time as you would have just used the Megs Ultimate?

Scholl S20 Black with the Scholl blue spider pad can do exactly this..It sold by CYC in a sample sized bottle (enough for 2 cars) with the pad for about £17.

Given that we don't know exactly which DA you have, this recommendation will still work. If it's the basic DAS6 then this will take a little bit longer than the DAS6 Pro would have needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:00 pm 
Sponge

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I have the DA pro 6 polisher. I've had a look at the products and I see there are two blue pads- one navy blue with a little bottle, and otherwise two sizes of blue pad?

Could you link me to the products that you mean? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:18 pm 
This is the link you are after for the S20 Black sample pack...... (presently out of stock at the CYC shop)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sample-sizes/scholl-s20-sample-pack/prod_1692.html

Whilst the polish is only 100ml, that is sufficient to machine polish 2 cars!

Am I right in thinking that your paint has no clearcoat? If so, if you can't wait for the S20Black to become available, you could use your Megs polish with a yellow 3M pad followed by a final finishing polish (perhap The Megs #205) using the yellow or pale blue 3M pad. The DAS 6 pro is a very capable machine and the extra torque it produces can comfortably tackle even hard clearcoats.