CleanYourCar
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pad combo advice
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:15 pm 
Sponge

Hi all

Amazing other half has brought me a DAS-6 Pro for Christmas. :D :D :D

What pad/polish combo would you recommend for our cars? Black Volvo V70 (2011) and Silver BMW 320 (2010).

Paintwork on both cars is ok. When I got the Volvo I clayed and used Carlack Complete then a few coats of Collinite 915. Both get Sonax BSD every few months or so. Don't think either car has ever been machine polished before. I take it none of the above are any good for use with the DAS-6?

Many Thanks
Rob

Post subject: Re: Pad combo advice
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:08 pm 
DAS6Pro is a very capable machine and suitable for the medium hard paint of the Volvo and the hard part on the Beamer.

After the cars have been thouroughly decontaminated and clayed, this is the time to start polishing.

As there is a difference in the paint types, you have a couple of options for the hard paint.....either to apply more pressure onto the pad, increase the abrasiveness of the polish and use a firmer pad (or a combination of all 3).

Having some experience on both paint types, I can recommend the following tried and tested combinations:

BMW Scholl S17+ with Scholl white spider sandwich pad (heavier imperfections) or Scholl S17+ or S30+ (medium to light imperfections) with 3M yellow pad.
Volvo Scholl S17+ with yellow 3M pad (heavier imperfections) or Scholl S30+ on 3M yellow pad for lighter imperfections.

On either car, should you want an EXTREME gloss finish, I'd recommend using NanotechSST Supergloss (final finishing polish) on a black 3M pad, after using the above.

The choice of protective coatings is up to you...very much a subjective opinion what looks good. However, I would recommend a sealant, such as the Carlack looks better on lighter colours and a wax upon dark colours.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:16 pm 
Sponge

Thanks Willington. Off to place order.
Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:26 pm 
You are welcome.

If you would like some assistance from other Forum members, just put your general location in your profile and post a request for assistance in Detailing Chat section/Machine Polishing. You never know, someone may be in your area and be able to assist