CleanYourCar
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:20 pm 
Sponge

Hi guys,

Some thoughts please.
I just purchased some new detailing products for my Black Mercedes E Class.
I am wondering if the products i chose are a good choice or if you might suggest something else.

Below is what i have purchased.

Prep - Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
Prep - Auto Finesse Iron Out Remover
Prep - Bilt Hamber Medium Clay Bar
Polish - Scholl Concepts S30+ Nano Compound
Glaze - Poorboys World Black Hole
Sealant - Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109
Wax - Chemical Guys 50/50 Connoisseur Paste Wax V2
Quick Detailer - Hybrid V7 High Gloss Spray Sealant
Wheels - Chemical Guys Max Coat Wheel Guard

Pads:
1 x Chemical Guys Hex Logic Quantum Heavy Polishing Pad - Green - for Scholl S30+
1 x Chemical Guys Hex Logic Quantum Light- Medium Polishing Pad - White - Spare/Not Sure
1 x Chemical Guys Hex Logic Quantam - Blue - for PB Black Hole
1 x Chemical Guys Hex Logic Quantum Finishing Pad - Black - for CG 50/50 Paste Wax V2
1 x Chemical Guys Hex Logic Quantum Ultra Light Finishing Pad - Red - for CG Jet Seal

Misc:
Wax: CYC Foam Finger Wax Applicator
Wax: Autofinesse - Wax Mate Applicator XL
Glass - Dodo Juice Clearly Menthol Glass Cleaner
Interior - Gtechniq C6 - Matte Dash

Cloths:
Dodo Juice Mint Merkin Waffle Glass Cloth
Monster Microfibre - Chinchilla Buffing Towel
Eurow - Shag Pile Double Density Towels
Costco Premium Microfibre Cloths

I hav the CYC DAS-6 DA Polisher, never used it, will be my first time once products arrive, lil nervous re using the Green and White pads for the polishing on my Black 2015 Mercedes E Class.

Any good?

All tips welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited by Navz on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Some very good products you've got there. :D

However, I am a bit confused as to why you have bought a few of them. Here's my thoughts....

Prep...Lime Prime is a hybrid pre-wax cleaner. some light abrasives in it, lots of fillers and a glaze all in one.
Glaze...Blackhole does the same job as the Lime prime...but not as good for cleaning.

Applying Blackhole after Lime Prime defeats the objective as the abrasives on Blackhole would rip off the lime prime beneath it.

Sealant....sealants are best applied to thoroughly clean paintwork. If there are glazes beneath them, this may lead to product compatability issues and the sealant failing. If Blackhole was used as the glaze, then poorboys Ex-P sealant is best used (chemically engineered to work together).

Wax...... putting wax on manually is usually faster and more accurate than by machine application.

There is one aspect you may wish to consider...... as you now have a machine polisher, why not take the opportunity to machine compound/polish the paintwork?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:15 am 
Sponge

Hi Willington,

Thanks very much for your reply, really helpful.

Good point about Lime Prime being stripped off so i have cancelled that in my order and swapped it forAuto Finesse Iron Out Iron remover.

I really wanted the Jet Seal as i see and read great things about the product and i can use it on my wheels also.
I did read that you can use this on top of the Blackhole and i didn't like the Poorboys EX-P as much.
Will this setup still be okay or should i change the Blackhole for something else? I quite liked the reviews on Blackhole, i was bona get Chem Guys Blacklight but that also acted as a sealant so i did'nt get that.

Wax i will put on by hand and remove by machine. - Thanks.

Aspect to Consider: Machine Polish/Compound - i'm scared i will mess it up.
What products should i use to do this - I have ordered the Chem Guys White pad so could use that i guess.

Always open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:50 am 
Site Admin

The Mercedes paint is 'hard', so you will need a firm pad and a polish which will remove the imperfections. Having polished a Merc before, I suggest that you will either need Scholl S17+ (heavier imperfections) or Scholl S30+ for the lighter imperfections. You may also have to apply a little bit of pressure onto the pad to allow for the hard paint. Work the polish in an 18" square for about 3 minutes...the polish will go clear.

I haven't tested Blackhole with Jetseal, so can't comment regarding the compatability.

As for waxing, apply and remove it by hand.....so much faster than by machine and you will get excellent results....just spread a micro thin film of the wax onto the paint...more than this is just buffed off and wasted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:40 pm 
Sponge

Thanks.

The Mercedes is a 2015 model, bodywork is very good but i have noticed light imperfections and swirls so thanks for the suggestions.

I will buy the Scholl S30+

So do i do this after claying and before applying the Blackhole?

I will try it with the White Chem Guys Hex pad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Navz wrote:
So do i do this after claying and before applying the Blackhole?

Yes :D

CPRE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:37 pm 
Sponge

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your advice,

I have now finalised my list and ordered all my products etc i guess they will last me years and should prove a good investment.

Would you have a look at my updated list above and see what you think.

Also any tips about the green pad and polisher as i am a lil nervous e.g. will i damage my car etc.

Also i have no idea on speeds and settings for above polishes and pads, I will youtube to check, can you help me with those?

Been on the forum for years but finally took the plunge hope it all goes well.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Your ammended selection of products is looking pretty good...

if there were three things I would add to the list, they would be some tar-remover, all purpose cleaner and isoproply alcohol. The de-tar for after shampoo wash and before claying, APC for a multitude of tasks at various dilution rates and the isopropyl alcohol for dilting down to say 5% with 95% de-ionized water for removing any polish residues.

Machine polishing is very tactile and common sense plays a big part...so start off with a light pad and the polish on say speeds 4 or 5 and see what level of correction that brings. Then step up pressure if needed or switch to a heavier cutting pads until you achieve the desired result. I don't believe that you will have an issue using the Green quantum pad with the S30+ on the hard merc paint....the green pad, although firm is not as aggressive as a normal heavier cutting pad.

Just perform a set of 6 passes...north-south then east-west over an 18" x 18" square over about 3 minutes until the polish goes clear. Just keep the machine gradually moving and not let it dwell in one particular place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:56 am 
Sponge

Oooo, Obsidian Black - more than just a colour, it's a whole new OCD :lol: You certainly now seem better stocked than the CYC Shop! It may have been more prudent to post first and purchase later but I can't deny you have acquired a formidable armoury. There is no need to obsess about damaging your paint, Mercedes clearcoat is ridiculously hard. I attacked my brand new £45k Hyacinth Red Mercedes GLC with Scholl S3 Gold XXL and a white Scholl Spider Pad in an effort to reduce some of the free orange peel you get with new cars these days. And I was using the DAS6 Pro Plus machine for extra grunt. Your green foam is in fact the exact grade of pad that is used for corrective work at the MB factory and assuming you are using the basic DAS6 machine, it is highly unlikely you will be able to do any harm. However, my own experience has taught me nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool :oops:

I did a 2-stage polish by adding a final polish using Scholl S40 on a black pad just to elevate the crispness by removing the scratches left by the more aggressive polish. However, the very latest polishes available can now achieve this in a single step as they are formulated to be auto-reducing. This means that the longer you work the polish the abrasive particles will start reducing in size and do the job of a dedicated finishing polish. This is a less time consuming and more cost effective solution. Scholl S20 Black is such an example. It was once available in a 100ml sample size bundled with a blue Spider Pad for under £20 but I think supplies may have dried up by now.

If you are willing to invest 50 minutes of your life I can highly recommend this YouTube video to give you a very comprehensive insight into the art of machine polishing. It was produced by Autogeek's Mike Philips, acknowledged by many to be one of the world's foremost detailers:

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:23 pm 
Sponge

Thank you so much everyone.

Really appreciated.

Toobad, that video was really helpful. Thanks!

I am pleased with all the items i have purchased will upload some pics once done sometime next week i hope.