CleanYourCar
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 4:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:31 am 
Sponge

Evening all,
My current car is a Cosmos Black Merc A220 AMG and I believe they are pretty hard paints. I am new to all this, taking the decision to better look after my cars after ordering an Obsidian Black C300 Coupe which gets delivered in 2 weeks.
So far I have bought some Sonus SFX2 and SFX3 and a DAS6 machine, but is this a good enough polish for the hard paint?
The A Class has some swirl marks and could really use some TLC having just been washed using any old wash n wax for 2 years. I would like to restore it to cleand AND shiny.
What polishes would be recommended for this application?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:36 am 
Sponge

Hi and congratulations on the impending C300. Welcome to my world, I collected my new Hyacinth Red Mercedes GLC a couple of months ago. I embarked on a new car paint correction and what I discovered was Mercedes uses some of the hardest clearcoat on the planet. Admittedly I was trying to knock back some of the orange peel effect that's seen on most modern cars due to the use of water-based paints so had to be quite aggressive in my approach. In the case of your outgoing A220 I would follow the line of least resistance and try for the quickest results with the minimum effort.
Scholl S20 Black is an auto-reducing polish which offers a one-stop solution. The polish will start aggressively so you can remove scratches and swirls but as you work it, the particles will diminish in size allowing you to continue through to a high-glossing finishing polish. There is a sample kit containing 100ml of polish (plenty to do your A220) bundled with a 145mm Scholl blue Spider pad available from the CYC shop:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sample-sizes/scholl-s20-sample-pack/prod_1692.html

With regard to the C300, if you intend attacking the inevitable orange peel which is more visible on darker paints, you will have a very time consuming battle on your hands if you intend using an entry level DAS6. You can try and see if the S20 makes any impression but I sincerely doubt it. I would steer you towards the Scholl S3 XXL polish coupled with a white dual layer Spider pad. I used a DAS6 Pro+ and was able to push fairly hard without stopping the 900W motor. You can read all about my DIY new car paint correction in this thread:

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22753

and this is the finished article wearing Blackfire's Wet Ice Over Fire kit (now with six coats of carnauba wax because red just loves carnauba):

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:35 am 
Toobad beat me to my recommendations. :lol:

Both the S20 Black and S3 Gold XXL are excellent choices for tackling the very hard German paints. The S20 will produce a slightly higher level of gloss (extreme) than the S3 XXL (which only will produce Very High).

As you have one old car and a new car to polish, the degree of paintwork imperfections between the two will be noticable. If you decide upon using the S20, the older car will require using the Blue spider pad and the new car a softer (less aggressive) spider pad. Indeed, Scholl recommend using their Waffle final finishing pad with S20 for removing only the lightest of imperfections (even when using a DA).

If you decide to use S3 XXL, you can use your Hexlogic pads for the new car and a Scholl White Spide sandwich pad for the older car. Using these combinations will compensate for the lower power (torque) of the basic DAS6.

S20 Black is a fairly recent addition to the excellent range of Scholl Concepts polishes. I have yet to hear/read of anyone who has used this polish with any other pad other than the Scholl spider pads.

What you will find with these polishes, is that they will get the job done in far less time than other polishes by other manufacturers, economical in the amount of polish needed, highly lubricated, leave little residue and easy to use.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:51 pm 
Sponge

Thanks for the replies both. Toobad, the GLC is lovely. Probably wouod have gone for similar if I wasnt such a traditional coupe lover.
I will get some of the Scholl stuff and see if it does the trick.
I think there is some trial and error ahead.

Secondary note, the wife has a Pug 208 GTi in black metallic. Is this a hard or soft paint? Will I need a different set of chemicals for it?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Peugeot's have medium paint. It's very easy to polish :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:23 pm 
Sponge

Ash wrote:

Damn I hoped I would have an excuse not to :D.
She will want hers as shiny as the C300 now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Greiginfife wrote:
Ash wrote:

Damn I hoped I would have an excuse not to :D.
She will want hers as shiny as the C300 now.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:37 pm 
Sponge

So I decided to use the wifes Pug as a guinea pig car for my first time.
Prewashed then tar and bug removal, which produced a lot of hidden bug goop.
Washed with Valetpro shampoo and a nice mitt. Wheels done with Valetpro Bilberry wheel cleaner - stuff is amazing considering the state of the wheels.
Clay bar to finish with a good rinse and dry.
It already looked better than it has since she got it.

I then gave the machine its debut and started with the Sonus SFX2 and moderate pressure. Dont know if it was my imagination but felt I could see scratches just fading away.
Once that was done, then used Sonus SFX3 with a finishing pad, the shine was now superb.
To finish off it got a coat of Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax, and I love this stuff already (smells of banana, amazing) and the shine is just so rich and deep.

Wife is delighted with it, I am happy with my first attempt as well.

I am not kidding myself that the Mercs will be as easy but happy with my 4 hours of effort.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:42 pm 
Sponge

Side topic, is there any love for Farecla priducts on here? A friend has "a box of stuff" he bought but never used thst he said I can have, G3 all in one and G10 were thr main bits I noticed.

Any good?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:54 pm 
There are two ranges of Farecla products,,,the Retail ones (found in places such as Halfords) and the Pro range (yellow bottles).

Many bodyshops use the Pro range..especially the G3 compound. However it makes one hell of a mess, needs frequent lubrication and designed to be used with a rotary polisher.

The Retail farecla range (also named G3 ....but not to be confused with the pro G3) is not bad for a retail correctional polish.

Having said this, there are far better polishes to be had...... the likes of Maguiars, Menzerna, Scholl, Gtechnik and 3M but to name a few. Technologicly speaking...these polishes are far more advanced than anything Farecla produces and far easier to use.