All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Carlack Glass Sealant
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:36 pm 
Ruler of the Mitt

Black Lid : Glas - Grundreiniger means Glass Cleaner

White Lid : Glasversiegelung - Glass Sealant
Der Unsichtbare Wisher - The Invisible Wipers

From back of bottles :

1. Apply basic cleaner with a cotton cloth with vigorous, overlapping circular movements and let it dry

2. After 5-8 minutes a grey film appears.

3. Wipe off

White Lid - Sealant

1. Clean surface with Glass Cleaner

2. Apply glass sealant with a clean dry paper towel, sparingly but thoroughly.

3. Let it dry 10 for minutes

4. Moisten the glass with clear water and buff off residue.

http://www.carlack.de/carlack/home_eng.htm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:25 pm 
Sponge

I think the sealant now comes with a black lid.

I've followed these instructions to the letter and I'm still not getting great results on my glass.

Both on side glass and windscreens it seems to just not work as you'd expect.

I wipe onto the glass and all seems ok.

But when it comes to removal, I either spray the glass with some fine mist spray and then 'buff' with a microfibre, but it just seems to re-activate the sealant as soon as you wipe it and leave streaks, so you buff away but then that seems to leave the glass without any product left on it.

Or I dry buff which works better, but it still doesn't seem very good. I'd say about as good as using AG EGP on glass, you get a few days on side glass and a single day on a windscreen and it's pretty much gone.

I've even spent a morning heating up my garage and drying it out and applying, I sprayed a microfibre to buff and after 10 mins of waiting it just seemed to streak badly and not clear up. I had to re-clean the glass to get it ok for driving.

Is there anything I could be doing wrong?

Or have I got a duff product?

You'd think Carlack would know this product is hard to use and provide either better instructions or some YouTube videos as a guide.

For now I'm thinking of putting a rating of 1 star on CYC because it's just useless. I've seen people say it can last months but the best I've had is one day and that was at about half effectiveness at best, to no protection left after 20 miles of driving in the rain and needing to use the wipers to be able to see!

Maybe their proper windscreen kit is better, but given the performance of this stuff, I'm not sure I'd risk sinking the money into a one-time application of a product that might not work right or last very long!

Cheers

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

I always swore by this stuff but can't get it to work on my new motor although it works fine on my Mrs' car.

Save yourself a pretty penny and pick up some H2GO from Angelwax :wink:

I've used H2GO before and whilst it doesn't last as long as the CL stuff, when I can get it to work that is, it is a heck of a lot easier to use, can be layered, lasts a decent time and, for the money is a steal.

CPRE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yes H2GO from Angelwax works well and it's cheap :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

H2Go certainly works well, especially if layered and is excellent value for money.

Like anything in Detailing, prepping the surface ready for a sealant is vital...rip off all the old sealants, grime and dirt before applying the new product.

If you decide to get some H2Go, I would recommend getting some Angelwax Vision (glass cleaner) at the same time. Vision is absolutely brilliant at removing almost everything from glass....I even use it on my glass shower screen inside my home!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:22 pm 
Sponge

Well I've given this a few more goes over the months and I'm still not very happy.

I think anyone using it on a windscreen will be very unhappy with it's performance.

I generally like the performance for big sized rain drops that really clean the screen off, but on a partially dusty screen between washes, with fine misty rain, it's just dire. It's worse than having no sealant on in those cases as the droplets kinda shatter into finer droplets and mist over the screen.
Wipers then just seem to smear unless the glass is really clean.

It's ok for side windows and stuff though, and £10 or so for what must be 10 years worth seems reasonable enough I suppose... but I think something like AG EGP would be just as good for side window glass... and it's cheaper.

Certainly an avoid product imo.

I'm kinda unsure what actual use it has... and what people who like it actually use it for!

So far I've used it on house windows more than my car :D

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

I'm very surprised you are having problems with the Carlack glass sealant!

I always found it to be an excellent product :D

Have you made sure your wiper blades are clean and in good condition?

Sorry to ask but are you sure you are putting them on in the right order. The sealant is the clear liquid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:01 pm 
Waffle Weave Wonder

I used to find it excellent but I mysteriously started getting streaks as per Mr Whippy's post above. I tried all sorts such as prepping with IPA, claying the glass, new wiper blades, glass polish, ammonia, degreaser etc...I gave up on it in the end as it was actually quite dangerous :!: I have no idea what caused it as it used to work very well before.

I haven't tried it on my new windscreen because I swapped it for some Angelwax H2GO with a member on here a while back. The Angelwax product is easier to use and I don't have any problems with streaks, although it doesn't last nearly as long.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

I too find the Carlack doesn't work at all well now, I put it down to the Honda glass 'cos it used to work fine on my Skoda.

I should perhaps offer it up for swaps with the caveat that it's no good for Honda's because it's superb stuff when it works.

CPRE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:26 pm 
Sponge

I'm quite surprised so many people are having problems with this as I think it's great stuff and use it all the time on numerous makes and models. I have the red lid on mine but it's definitely the sealant and find it lasts around 3 months pretty easily.
I don't apply quite as per the instructions, I've found the following works for me.
Obviously it goes without saying that the glass needs to be spotlessly clean first. I will normally clean as part of the normal wash shampoo etc, then hit again with a dedicated glass cleaner after (I like Stoners Invisible Glass).
Depending on the feel of the glass, in most cases I'll go over it with a clay mitt too. Finally I'll do a wipe down with an Car Pro Eraser or something similar ensuring that I use a totally clean part of the mf basically per window. At this stage I normally find I use three cloths folding repeatedly, one for the screen, one for the rear and then another for the sides. I'll also thoroughly clean the wiper blades at this point, with the Stoners sprayed directly onto a new cloth.

To then apply the Carlack I get two sheets of kitchen towel folder over into quarters and apply a fair amount of the product to the wedge of kitchen towel. I then apply to half the front screen ensuring I fully cover the area. I then apply more product to the kitchen roll and then do the second half of the screen. I then put that piece of kitchen roll to one side.
I get some more kitchen roll, apply some product and then do all the side windows in the same way. The rear window applies in the same way, only again I use fresh kitchen roll.
After around 10 mins, I use the windscreen kitchen roll that I used previously, apply some more product and then apply a second coat to the windscreen.
For the side windows I simply get fresh kitchen roll, spray it with a mist of distilled water then buff off the sealant. It comes off pretty easily then.
For the rear, I'll apply a second coat in the same way as the windscreen.
After a further 10 mins, I take fresh kitchen roll, mist this with water and then buff off the front and rear screens. Final inspection using a short pile perfectly clean mf cloth then removes any remaining streaks but to be honest I find it leaves hardly any anyway.

Like I said, I find it lasts around 3 months on the main screen before the performance starts degrading.

Hope that helps!